• Announcements

• Frinkeldoodle

Notice for Anyone Using Dolphin Browser   12/13/2016

I've discovered there's a particular bug that occurs when using Dolphin Browser here that autofills your username and password... into a thread's title and tag fields when you create or edit one. I advise anyone using Dolphin Browser at the moment to discontinue using it here until either Dolphin fixes their autofill so it doesn't do that, or until IP.Board releases an update that reverses what causes that to happen.
    • Vairaki

Discord Account Verifications   06/27/2017

A reminder for those who use the discord channels that have not yet verified their member status, You have until Saturday the 1st of July to do so to avoid any interrupted service. 
Guest Celestia

A simple tutorial on how to sense energy (for all ponies - not just unicorns)

37 posts in this topic

Hi everypony!

I was asked to do a quick little tutorial on beginning to work with... sense... and feel... energies.

These are techniques similar to how I was taught... techniques I use when teaching in “personâ€. It's been my experience that nearly everypony can feel something to begin with... and that with practice... the ability to feel expands proportionally to how much the pony practices....

In this world... it seems to me that the ability to sense energies is within almost all humans... so whether you are Pegasai, Earth Pony, or Unicorn... there is a _very_ strong chance that with practice you'll be able to feel at the very least your own energies.

First, and most importantly...

This should only be attempted by a person/pony who is in good mental/emotional health. If you have even the slightest doubts regarding your mental and/or your emotional health, STOP READING THIS THREAD NOW!

If you have even the slightest doubts of whether or not you are in good mental and/or emotional health, please consult your certified mental/emotional healthcare practitioner, and have them work with you through this tutorial, if and only if, they feel it is safe for you to proceed.

Secondly, and as importantly...

Please... read through the whole thing before trying the techniques.... It's not long, and the things at the end are just important when starting out as the material at the beginning.

As was said to me by a fellow scientist who working for a division of the Smithsonian, “When you get down far enough, it's all energy.†(We had been talking about how surprised I had been to witness him, a respected scientist using his body to both measure and direct energies to induce measurable, reproducible change within a complex system.)

Sensing energies is a skill, and though some have the ability to do so naturally, like all other skills, it can be developed through just doing it, practicing it. Smile

And energies feel differently to everypony, so you when talking about them with others, it helps to find ways of understanding that when somepony says “X†that to you, that means “Yâ€. (Kind of like the “universal translator†in Star Trek. Smile)

The simplest way I've found to help others begin to sense energies is to simply hold your forehooves together, (actually, let me speak in terms of hands... that may be simpler).

Bring your hands together with your palms flat... bring them so close together that they aaaaalllllllmmmmmooooosssst touch... maybe keeping a 10th of a millimeter between your palms....

Just pay attention to the warmth you feel radiated from one palm upon the other... ...feel the slight heat that your palms give-off... building in that small space between them....

...Focus on feeling that gentle warmth your hands radiate between them for... oh... maybe half a minute....

...And then, very gently, very slowly... pull your palms apart about a millimeter or so....

….Then... very gently... push them together so they almost touch but don't....

Do this again... and pay attention to how the surface of your palms feel as you do so... bring your attention right to the surface of your palms and feel the slight pulling upon them as you pull your palms ever so slightly apart... the pulling at them almost like like a magnet...

...And feel the slight pressure against your palms as you try ever so gently to push them back together so they almost... almost touch... feel that pressure almost like a magnetic cushion between your palms... trying to maintain that distance you felt between them when you began....

...And after exploring this... you may find that you can bring your attention to the actual space _between_ your palms... and you may realize that you can sense that space between your palms almost as if it were a part of your own body as well.... as you ever so gently pull your hands ever so slightly apart... and gently push them ever so slightly back together....

….Practicing this, (ideally in a safe environment, for example, in the safety of your own room, where only your own energies exist,) you'll begin to notice more and more clarity and “tactileness†to what you feel.

And once you become practiced at this so you can easily and readily feel the energies of your own body in this manner... you can begin to change the orientation of your hands... creating a small spherical space between them that you can fill with energy....

With a little practice, you can then open your hands and hold a ball of energy in one hand... or even place it in the air in front of you.... If you find you can do this... try seeing how long you can keep the energy focused in the same spherical shape... not getting any bigger nor smaller... not changing colours... just maintaining it as it was when you created it.

You could even try working with different colours of Light... blues... pinks... reds... violets... golds....

A fun advanced beginner exercise is to subsequently create and then “juggle†one, two, or three different coloured balls of energy, transferring them from one hand to the other, floating them in the air before you, keeping them the same shape, size, intensity and colour as they were when you created each one....

….And when you are done with your practice... you can either re-absorb the energy spheres... or you can send them out into the world, aligning them to do whatever good your subconscious knows best is needed.

This is also the basic premise behind energy-shielding.

Building energy, and focusing it into a shell around you to do different, specific things. One of the most common energy shields is to turn the energy that surrounds you reflective.

When you're just starting out, it might be a good idea to get some white sage (something most “New-Age†bookstores have,) and light one of the leaves, blowing it out to let it smoke and smolder... wafting the pungent smoke around you with something like a bit of stiff paper as a fan, (Native ways say that only Great Spirit should actually “blow†on sage, or “Smudge†as it is also known). This helps to release any negative energies from your space before you open yourself up to seeing/working within a larger world around you... it's like “psychic housecleaning†or “spiritual hygieneâ€.

This is important because as your awareness broadens... your awareness broadens. (“You've taken your first steps into a larger world.â€) Good spiritual practices instilled right from the start means that you don't need to unlearn any bad habits later.

Remember to practice only _good_ when you are working with energies... because (at least here on this world,) the Work draws to you what you, yourself put out... many times magnified. (“That which is like unto itself is drawn.â€)

Always work for the good of all, and taking into account every beings right to their own free will.

If you have any questions, please ask. It's far better to work from a place of knowledge than it is to stumble around and bang your shins and wrists!

-Twilight Sparkle

Edited by Bright Star
Fixed broken text from forum move
AstralAmity likes this

I remember trying something like this before but instead of starting off with learning to get a feel of the energy it started off with the energy ball as step one but I do think I managed the magnetic cushion feel once or twice

Thank you so much, Twilight! I look forward to trying out these, and I hope it assists me in walking my own path and overcoming the certain mental obstacle I seem to have encountered. I think I've done something like this before, but it was more for fun that being serious like this. I never knew that focusing, feeling and sensing energies involved this kind of action. It seems interesting and I'll try and explore it as much as possible.

Thank you again, and I hope you have a nice time when you go away.

-Lunaclipse

Thank you so much, Twilight! I look forward to trying out these, and I hope it assists me in walking my own path and overcoming the certain mental obstacle I seem to have encountered. I think I've done something like this before, but it was more for fun that being serious like this. I never knew that focusing, feeling and sensing energies involved this kind of action. It seems interesting and I'll try and explore it as much as possible.

Thank you again, and I hope you have a nice time when you go away.

-Lunaclipse

Ooch, thank you Lunaclipse!

I hope you have good explorations! Magic here is in some ways similar and in some ways different than it is back home. But once you learn the "operating parameters" it's just a matter of working within whatever limitations we have to achieve the results we desire! And we're all here for a reason, so we've got to do the best we can with what we've got while we're here! 641293646.png

heeeee... Thank you! I hope I'll still be able to keep in touch while I'm away! <3

-Twilight 641293646.png

Neat. I JUST tried the hand hover thing, and it's surprising how much heat I could feel when the two of them are so close, but not actually touching. Seriously, I was expecting to MAYBE feel some heat if I concentrated hard enough, but no, it was VERY noticeable. o-o

Neat. I JUST tried the hand hover thing, and it's surprising how much heat I could feel when the two of them are so close, but not actually touching. Seriously, I was expecting to MAYBE feel some heat if I concentrated hard enough, but no, it was VERY noticeable. o-o

*nodnods* It's pretty interesting, isn't it! 641293646.png

Keep on exploring into that feeling and you might find it "opens up" even more for you... like exploring layers... within layers... with layers.... 641293646.png

Wow... Lunaclipse mentioned this possibly assisting in overcoming a mental obstacle, and this has certainly helped me to overcome one. 

It took me a few attempts to get it going consistently, but I could feel the tug on my hands once it was there. As Ciroton said, the heat is surprisingly prominent. I like how you described it as a "magnetic cushion", because that's exactly what it feels like.

Wow... Lunaclipse mentioned this possibly assisting in overcoming a mental obstacle, and this has certainly helped me to overcome one. 

It took me a few attempts to get it going consistently, but I could feel the tug on my hands once it was there. As Ciroton said, the heat is surprisingly prominent. I like how you described it as a "magnetic cushion", because that's exactly what it feels like.

That's wonderful! 641293646.png

Yes, it at the very least can help let the mind open up past the doubts, to the possibility of something much larger all around and within us.... And it is the base of being able to learning to create measurable, reproducible change in one's own world. 641293646.png

Yes, it at the very least can help let the mind open up past the doubts, to the possibility of something much larger all around and within us....  And it is the base of being able to learning to create measurable, reproducible change in one's own world.  641293646.png

Yay, the Chinese government's firewall doesn't block access to the website 208166100.png 

I've had trouble with feeling the shape of the energies, but I'm still adding this into my routine and trying it every two or so days for about 15-20 minutes. If you feel it would be better if I did it more, could you let me know? It's just that lots of my time is taken up by tulpamancy, hypnosis and the rest - chores and "productive activities", according to my parents.

Yes, it at the very least can help let the mind open up past the doubts, to the possibility of something much larger all around and within us....  And it is the base of being able to learning to create measurable, reproducible change in one's own world.  641293646.png

Yay, the Chinese government's firewall doesn't block access to the website 208166100.png 

I've had trouble with feeling the shape of the energies, but I'm still adding this into my routine and trying it every two or so days for about 15-20 minutes. If you feel it would be better if I did it more, could you let me know? It's just that lots of my time is taken up by tulpamancy, hypnosis and the rest - chores and "productive activities", according to my parents.

Oh! You know? When you're starting out, it's best to keep energy work practice sessions short.

It's better to have them be short and successful and leave you with a positive feeling about your work.

I'd suggest, 3-5 minutes for your sessions each day your first month... then maybe adding a minute every month until you reach a "sweet spot" balance of time, energy, and success.... (After you get things firmly anchored... you can then choose to practice endurance if you'd like... this is good for maintaining shielding over long periods of time in difficult situations....)

You've got to give yourself the time _you_ need to develop the skills.... And the time _you_ need... is the time that's just right for you.

-Twilight 641293646.png

Thanks for the warning at the start there. I was getting all negative minded at the time and wanting to play with limits and stuff.. no doubt forcing more than I should. The warning snapped me back a bit. Might look back at this when I am a least in my right mind.

I don't see how you pones can do this stuff. I've tried a few times now just with the energy sphere, but I can't even get my hands that close without touching. Well not entirely, I think once I've managed to, but I couldn't feel any heat from it, let alone focus on it.

I don't see how you pones can do this stuff. I've tried a few times now just with the energy sphere, but I can't even get my hands that close without touching. Well not entirely, I think once I've managed to, but I couldn't feel any heat from it, let alone focus on it.
Oh, Vi... It's okay. If you really, really want to do this... then just keep practicing. (It's been my experience that most people can do this at some level or another.)

And for what it's worth, there are many things I don't see how people or ponies can do.... Like taxes! I can't see how anypony can do their own taxes. Just thinking about it makes my brain glaze over. 3247790610.png

I mean... if I _really_, _really_ wanted to, I could find a way to do something that just doesn't fit with me... but I find more enjoyment by finding and pursuing things that do. 641293646.png

-Twilight

Oh, Vi... It's okay.  If you really, really want to do this... then just keep practicing.  (It's been my experience that most people can do this at some level or another.)

And for what it's worth, there are many things I don't see how people or ponies can do....  Like taxes!  I can't see how anypony can do their own taxes.  Just thinking about it makes my brain glaze over. 3247790610.png

I mean... if I _really_, _really_ wanted to, I could find a way to do something that just doesn't fit with me... but I find more enjoyment by finding and pursuing things that do. 641293646.png

-Twilight

I plan to keep trying for a little while longer.

And if I can't do it by then, oh well onto something else. No point in getting upset over it after all.

I plan to keep trying for a little while longer.

And if I can't do it by then, oh well onto something else. No point in getting upset over it after all.

*hugs* If you need help... I'll be mostly away fro the next 2.5 weeks, but when I get back, if you really would like to explore this and you still haven't been able to feel anything, I'd be happy to see if I can help. 641293646.png

This energy, does it feel something akin to warmth?

I'm just asking because, after trying this a few times, I noticed how I could sort of... Direct this sensation to my extremities at will, with some amount of focus. 

It's really a rather strange sensation. 4055829976.png

I have to say, this is fascinating!

Thanks, Twilight.

I am currently trying this.

Unfortunately I have some problems keeping my hands from touching each other. I hope this is not to bad for the progress.

I did feel the warmth occasionally do.

This energy, does it feel something akin to warmth?

I'm just asking because, after trying this a few times, I noticed how I could sort of... Direct this sensation to my extremities at will, with some amount of focus. 

It's really a rather strange sensation. 4055829976.png

I have to say, this is fascinating!

Thanks, Twilight.

Och, you're welcome Spectral! 641293646.png

Energies feel differently to everypony.

Feeling energies as sensations of warmth is just the easiest way to begin to train one's mind to "look for" them, and to begin building-up the skills of discernment regarding them.

After a while of practicing these and other techniques, your ability to perceive with develop... evolve... and you'll probably begin to sense more depth and intricacies... "flavors"... within different kinds of energies....

...And energies will feel like, however energies, feel to you.  (You'll probably always have a sensation of "warmth" as a part of the energies you sense, just because that was the doorway through which you entered... but there will probably be so much more to what you sense that it'll be like, "Oh yeah... I haven't looked for it in a long while, but there _is_ some warmth there too within the sensations....")

641293646.png

-Twilight

I am currently trying this.

Unfortunately I have some problems keeping my hands from touching each other. I hope this is not to bad for the progress.

I did feel the warmth occasionally do.

That's great, Twilie! 1179911372.png

I find that when I'm practicing that specific technique, that when my forehooves touch, it's a distraction, and like a spark-gap dissipating the energies gathering when they are soooooo close but not quite touching....

...But that's just me.

If you're feeling that warmth growing between your forehooves... and especially if you can feel that "magnetic cushion" effect... keep doing what you're doing!

Feeling energies as warmth is just the easiest way to start your brain looking for them.  (It's far easier to begin working with something tangible than to try to begin sensing something that the cultures and societies we were raised in think of as intangible.)

*heee* In human references, I guess feeling energies as warmth is like "training wheels." 641293646.png

Keep working with feeling that warmth until you can readily sense it... then start looking "inside" that feeling of warmth.... 641293646.png

-Twilight

In regard to trying to keep forehooves as close as possible without touching, I have found that they only need to be close enough that you can feel the sensation that you are touching _something_, but it's the space in between that you can feel, not the forehooves themselves.

I hope this helps 641293646.png

-Lunaclipse

Thanks for the advice everypony.

I will try to find a balance between distance and feeling the effects.

Shielding? Energy? I'm afraid I am unfamiliar with this topic.