• Announcements

• Frinkeldoodle

Notice for Anyone Using Dolphin Browser   12/13/2016

I've discovered there's a particular bug that occurs when using Dolphin Browser here that autofills your username and password... into a thread's title and tag fields when you create or edit one. I advise anyone using Dolphin Browser at the moment to discontinue using it here until either Dolphin fixes their autofill so it doesn't do that, or until IP.Board releases an update that reverses what causes that to happen.
HardKnocks

Hypno pony cookbook!

24 posts in this topic

Alright, so I've had the idea to make a vegetarian cookbook that is a bit more satisfying then a salad or tofu.

Rules are simple

1)You may not include meats

2)Most ingredients must be easy to obtain, Aka no exotic expensive rare spices.

3)You may use diary and eggs.

Here I'll start with: Tacos!

Ingredients

12 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into 8 slices

4 cups shredded coleslaw mix

1 small bunch radishes, thinly sliced

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 bunch scallions, sliced

1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 limes (1 zested and juiced, 1 cut into wedges)

1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

1 tablespoon taco seasoning

8 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas

1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella or pepper jack cheese

1/4 cup jarred salsa verde

Instructions

Lay the tofu slices flat on a stack of paper towels; top with more paper towels, then put a heavy skillet on top to press out the excess water, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, toss the coleslaw, radishes, cilantro, scallions, 1 tablespoon olive oil, the lime zest and half of the lime juice in a large bowl. Mix the yogurt with the remaining lime juice in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.

Brush the tofu on all sides with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with the taco seasoning. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then add the tofu and cook until it begins to crisp, about 5 minutes; flip and cook 2 more minutes. Cut into strips.

Toast the tortillas in a dry skillet, 1 minute per side, or wrap in a damp towel and microwave 1 minute. Fill with the tofu, cheese and slaw, then drizzle with the yogurt sauce and salsa. Serve with the lime wedges.

Maybe it is my love of spinach dips, but some home made spinach dip goes great with these! Especially if it has a bit of garlic

Oh my gosh, this is _wonderful_ FlutterVi!

Thanks so much for starting this thread and for sharing these recipes! (I've gotten a little tired with rice and tofu in my own cooking -- Spike is the cook in our little household, he can do amazing things with eggplant; I'll have to ask him if he could write down some ideas! 641293646.png )

Ohhh that reminded me of a recipe for eggplant gratin.

Ingredients

3/4 pound eggplant, unpeeled, sliced 1/2-inch thick

1/4 cup ricotta cheese

1 extra-large egg

1/4 cup half-and-half

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup marinara sauce

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Heat about 1/8-inch of olive oil in a very large frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is almost smoking, add several slices of eggplant and cook, turning once, until they are evenly browned on both sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the cooked eggplant slices to paper towels to drain. Add more oil, heat, and add more eggplant until all the slices are cooked.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, egg, half-and-half, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.

In each of 2 individual gratin dishes, place a layer of eggplant slices, then sprinkle with Parmesan, salt and pepper and spoon 1/2 of the marinara sauce. Next, add a second layer of eggplant, more salt and pepper, half the ricotta mixture, and finally 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan on top.

Place the gratins on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the custard sets and the top is browned.

Ok, my favorite Apple trick - growing up in the lovely Hudson Valley we are an Apple people. 

Ok, so this is Apple Crumble. But if you've ever made Apple Crumble, you know the worst part is cleaning the pan. The hard crust topping just bakes hard and you are left with a pan that's terrible. So remove the pan. You got a perfect vessel: The Apple itself.

Software includes:

4 big apples - baking apples. Fuji, Braeburns, Granny Smiths are very nice. 

Stick of butter (that's 1/4 cup, unsalted if you please)

3/4 cup of rolled oats

3/4 cup of AP flour

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Kosher Salt

4 Tablespoons Honey (no need to measure, just keep it in the jar/little squeezy bear)

Hardware includes:

Pairing Knife

Table spoon

9x9 baking dish

Non-stick spray

Oven to 350 to heat.

Ok, first the topping: mix the seasonings, oats, flour and a pinch of kosher salt. in a bowl, and lightly mixto get it combined. chop the butter into small cubs and KEEP IT COLD. That's important.

Mix the butter in a few cubes at a time, mashing it into the oat/flour mixture until no butter can be seen, then add more. use the finger tips - they'll help prevent the butter from melting. Keep going to get the whole thing in there. it will be a nice sticky mixture. Put in the fridge.

Now the Apples - this is odd so stay with. Get a pairing knife and slice into the top of the apple at a 45 degree angle toward the core. Ever cut into a pumpkin to get at the seeds for a jack-o-lantern? Same idea. Cut around CAREFULLY (if you aren't feeling safe - get a cut resistant kevlar glove). Cut all the way around, and pull the top off. Discard. Core the apple with a tablespoon so there is a divit in there. Fill each apple's core with a teaspoon of honey (you can eyeball it), and place into a 9x9 baking dish. When all four apples are finished, top with the crumb mixture.

bake center rack for 40 minutes, if a pairing knife gives gentle resistance, you're good. rest for 10. Serve with some whipped cream or, if you're like me, a scoop of good vanilla ice cream.

Zucchini Gratin

Ingredients

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, plus extra for topping

1 pound yellow onions, cut in 1/2 and sliced (3 large)

2 pounds zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick (4 zucchini)

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 cup hot milk

3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs

3/4 cup grated Gruyere

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a very large (12-inch) saute pan and cook the onions over low heat for 20 minutes, or until tender but not browned. Add the zucchini and cook, covered, for 10 minutes, or until tender. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes. Stir in the flour. Add the hot milk and cook over low heat for a few minutes, until it makes a sauce. Pour the mixture into an 8 by 10-inch baking dish.

Combine the bread crumbs and Gruyere and sprinkle on top of the zucchini mixture. Dot with 1 tablespoon of butter cut into small bits and bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and browned.

Goes great with most dinner rolls.

I will now (stupidly) post here my mane "there's practically nothing in the house" staple.

Spicy Bean and Cheese Quesadilla

Beans, as much as you desire

Cheese, as much as you desire

Something spicy, as much as you desire

Burrito

Tools: Panini press

0. Turn on panini press.

1. Place beans on half of burrito.

2. Place cheese over beans.

3. Place something spicy over cheese.

4. Fold burrito in half.

5. Place burrito in panini press.

6. Wait for it to finish cooking, then take out of press.

7. Cut in half or quarters. Serve with something to cool down your mouth afterwards.

*is slapped with an oncoming cast-iron grand piano*

I wish I knew how to make anything apart from Pasta and an Omlette

Zucchini chips

Ingredients

2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound total)

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan (3/4-ounce)

1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs

Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

Slice the zucchini into 1/4-inch thick rounds. In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini with the oil. In a small bowl, combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs, salt, and a few turns of pepper. Dip each round into the Parmesan mixture, coating it evenly on both sides, pressing the coating on to stick, and place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake the zucchini rounds until browned and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes.

Poormanstallion's Quesadilla

Ingredients:

Two Tortilla Shells any size (as long as both are the same, but you're welcome to experiment)

Shredded Cheese (Can be Sharp Cheddar, Dull Cheddar (har har), Colby Jack, etc. American or Velveeta not recommended)

Taco Sauce (I recommend Ortega, but any brand should be fine)

Taco Seasoning (I'm putting parenthesis notes after this ingredient for consistency reasons)

Instructions

Take one tortilla and spread cheese on the surface. You can use as much or as little as you want. Sprinkle a bit of Taco seasoning on the cheese to add a bit of spice to the flavor. Spread some Taco sauce on top of all that, just enough that it will spread out to a thin layer when the top tortilla is placed on top.

Place on a microwave safe plate and microwave it for about 30 seconds, turn, and then for about 30 seconds more. (Boooo! You used a microwave!) Well if you prefer not to/are against waves from the 300 GHz ÔÇô 300 MHz range, you can cook over a skillet at about medium/medium-high. Then add more Cheese/taco sauce/taco seasoning on top as you wish and then slice into wedges. Enjoy!

Tips: You can add more ingredients as you wish, such as diced tomatoes, lettuce, rice, or Habanero Sauce. Experiment!

If I ever achieve this effect, I know what I'm falling back on :P

*casually bookmarks page*

I wish I knew how to make anything apart from Pasta and an Omlette
You should learn. Everyone should.

How about you start up with a nice simple stir fry? You learn knife skills, heat control, and the output is a fantastic late evening supper. The idea with a stirfry is to cook things that need to cook longer first, then follow with the quicker cooking things, then coat everything in a sauce.

Hardware you'll need is a carbon steel wok (you can get one of these for about 25$ in any kitchen store or department store... they're cheap and if you treat it right, your grandkids will be thanking you), a stirring implement, I like a metal spatula, and a little bowl.

4 teaspoons cornstarch

1 cup chicken broth

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced

1 onion, halved and sliced

1 garlic clove, minced

salt and pepper

1. In the small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, broth, and soy sauce.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to hot oil and cook for about 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from skillet.

3. Add remaining oil to hot pan. When oil has warmed, add the bell pepper and onion. Cook over medium-high heat for about 6 minutes, until vegetables are tender.

4. Sprinkle the garlic, salt and pepper over the vegetables. Stir and cook for 1 minute, then pour in the cornstarch/chicken broth mixture. Stir and cook for about 3 minutes.

5. Toss vegetables with chicken. When chicken is warm again, serve.

A little rice (you can used a dedicated rice cooker for tihs - which is cheap and produces fantastic output), and you got yourself a complete meal.

(To save time I copied most of this from http://mantestedrecipes.com/recipe/3857/chicken-stir-fry-for-beginners.aspx - It's almost exactly what I do.)

This is a pumpkin pie recipe I found years ago that tastes just like my grandmother's pumpkin pie!  It's all about flavor and spice, (rather than sugar). 641293646.png

It's _super_ easy and quick to make... and so long as you measure carefully, (and remember to turn the heat down after the first 15 minutes of baking,) it comes out great every time! 641293646.png

(Makes one pie)

2 eggs

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

2 Tbsp flour

1 tsp ginger

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp mace

1/4 tsp cloves

1/2 tsp salt

1 & 3/4 cup pumpkin (one standard can)

2 Tbsp butter, melted

1 cup evaporated milk

1 standard uncooked pie shell (I prefer Graham Cracker 641293646.png)

Preheat oven to 450.

Beat eggs until frothy.

Mix in sugars and four.

Mix in spices and salt.

Mix in pumpkin.

Mix in melted butter...

Finally, mix in milk.

Pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake at 450 for 15 minutes.

Decrease heat to 375, and bake for an additional 45 minutes.

Remove from oven and set out to cool.

Don't be surprised if pie rises slightly.

It will go down again a after it cools.

(Make sure you get just pumpkin. Don't use a can of "Pumpkin pie mix" instead. Light brown sugar can be used instead of dark, but the result isn't as good.)

NOTE: ~20 minutes preparation time, 1 hour cooking, plus desired cooling time.

Fried tofu

Ingredients

1 block firm or extra firm tofu

3 tbsp yeast

2 tbsp flour

2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp peppe

2 tbsp olive oil

Instructions

Slice the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes.

In a small bowl, combine the tofu with the remaining ingredients, except the oil, and toss gently to coat the tofu well. Or, place all ingredients in a zip-lock bag or covered container and shake well.

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the tofu. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and lightly crispy.

This stuff is surprisingly good with tons of stuff, you can cut the tofu into strips instead for dipping, use them as croutons, or just eat them on their own like popcorn. Also if you're a spice lover cayenne pepper can be used to season. Personally I like them with a small pinch of nutmeg or with some salt and honey mustard.

Here, have some apple cider

Ingredients

10 apples, quartered

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

3/4 cup white sugar

1 tablespoon ground allspice

Instructions

Place apples in a large stockpot and add enough water cover by at least 2 inches. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and allspice. Bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, for 1 hour. Cover pot, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours.

Strain apple mixture though a fine mesh sieve. Discard solids. Drain cider again though a cheesecloth lined sieve. Refrigerate until cold.

And I feel terrible now having read the original post and realizing the topic was vegetarian cooking.

I'm going to go ram my head into a wall for a bit.

Time to revive this.

Tomato basil soup

Ingredients

4 tomatoes - peeled, seeded and diced

4 cups tomato juice

14 leaves fresh basil

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1/2 cup butter

Directions

1. [*:kml6azhy]Place tomatoes and juice in a stock pot over medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree the tomato mixture along with the basil leaves, and return the puree to the stock pot.
    [*:kml6azhy]Place the pot over medium heat, and stir in the heavy cream and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Do not boil.

This is great for a cold, and of course it is great with crackers or a grilled cheese.

This recipe is one of the simplest cooking recipes I know. I don't know what it's called, but here it is.

(Sorry, but I have no exact measurements of quantities)

Ingredients:

Raw spinach leaves

Olive oil

1: Put a hoof-full or two of spinach in a large bowl.

2: Pour a small amount of olive oil over what you just added.

3: Toss what you have so far.

4: Repeat the first steps until you have the desired amount.

5: Let this sit while you preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit(I think about 204 celsius)

6: Spread the oiled spinach over a large enough pan(warning:it will try to stick when cooked)

7: Roast them in the oven until crispy.

8:Enjoy!

Note: If you get cafeteria mush, your did something wrong.

Even if you are still carnivorous( like me, I admit) you will probably like this. You won't believe me until you try it, but it tastes just like bacon.

Hello Everypony,

I haven't found another thread along these same lines, so I'm starting one here.

This is to post MLP inspired recipes, discuss Equestrian diets, etc.

Now, I would like to keep things to full recipes for dishes, confections, etc., rather than food decoration. 

On that note, this means purely vegetarian recipes (not vegan), so no meat products (sadly) (which includes poultry and fish) but dairy is fine, eggs sometimes (namely in baking) though if you can find or come up with a workable non-synthetic substitute, that would be really interesting to try. 

And finally, BE CREATIVE!  Please don't just use fake meat products like "Tofurky."  Further, please let us know if you have tried the recipe or not, and if you came up with it yourself or looked it up (the former would be preferred).

On that note:

Oat Burger (untested, original idea) -

50% oatmeal

50% pureed mushrooms

Soy-sause (color and taste)

Additional seasonings to taste

Blend ingredients in a food processor, if properly portioned out, should come out similar consistancy to ground beef. 

Remove from food processor and shape in to a patty.

Grill in butter on a fry pan.

Modified Cucumber Sandwich: (New Favorite :wub: )

Bread- 2 slices of preferred kind (for me, whole grain or 12 grain)

Cucumber Slices- However many you want

Long Sliced Carrots (like sandwich slice pickles)- However many you want

Black and Green Olives (sliced or crushed)- Some

Grated Horseradish- To taste

Ranch Dressing- To taste

Brown Mustered (optional)- To Taste

Yes, I realize this is essentially a salad on bread... Still good.

Scager likes this