• Announcements

• Frinkeldoodle

Notice for Anyone Using Dolphin Browser   12/13/2016

I've discovered there's a particular bug that occurs when using Dolphin Browser here that autofills your username and password... into a thread's title and tag fields when you create or edit one. I advise anyone using Dolphin Browser at the moment to discontinue using it here until either Dolphin fixes their autofill so it doesn't do that, or until IP.Board releases an update that reverses what causes that to happen.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Celestia

Tulpae and Switching in pop-culture/media?

16 posts in this topic

A crazy thought just struck me:

In the movie "Fight Club," would Brad Pitt's character have been Ed Norton's "Tulpa"?

(Pitt's personality, at least at first, represented the more charismatic/successful character that Norton's personality probably admired from afar. And there were periods where Pitt took control over the shared body of "Tyler Durden" away from Norton who seems to have been the "base personality"....)

I would nominate Hobbes, from Calvin and Hobbes.

And naturally, Fosters home of imaginary beings.

In Ratatouille, Remy the rat has a chef Auguste Gusteau tulpa that gives him advice.

At one point of the movie when Remy finds out that Lou is the son of Gusteau, the tulpa is equally as shocked as he is a creation of Remy who indeed did not know he had a son as well! This part made me laugh really hard the first time I watched this move and now I like this part even better because of it!

Edited by Bright Star
fixed spoiler

Tokyo magnitude 8.0. Easily has one of the darkest uses of a Tulpa in fiction.

Mirai en Yuuki are two stranded children trying to go back to home after a magnitude 8 earthquake devistates Tokyo. However an aftershock severely wounds Yuuki which later dies in a hospital.

However completely devastated by grief, Mirai refuses to accept Yuuki's death and makes a tulpa of him until she finally reaches home.

The melancholy of Haruri Suzumia also discusses the idea of mind over reality regularly. However in this case the reverse of a Tulpa. A wolf species rendered invisible for human perception because humanity did no longer believed in its existence.

My Spike _loves_ oldies rock, so when I told him about this thread over gelato, he said, "Oh, like 'Questions,' the old song from Manfred Mann!"

So, we looked-up the lyrics, and sure enough -- it sounds like _somebody_ had found some Tulpae! 1179911372.png

Questions - by Manfred Mann (1976)

In a dream it would seem

I went to those who close the open door.

Turning the key, I sat and spoke to those inside of me;

They answered my questions with questions,

And pointed me into the night

Where the moon was a star-painted dancer

And the world was just a spectrum of light.

They reached to my center of reason

And pulled on the touchstone that's there.

The shock of that light had me reeling

And I fell into the depths of despair.

They answered my questions with questions,

And set me to stand on the brink

Where the sun and the moon were as brothers,

And all that was left was to think.

They answered my questions with questions

And pointed me into the night

The power that bore me had left me alone

To figure out which way was right

drop dead fred anyone?

I remember one episode of CSI(Insert city here) where a murder was caused by a "third" roommate where one girl was able to switch between two very different personalities and names.

How did I forget about this?

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Yami is like a tulpa to Yugi. Yami will take over for Yugi during duels and other situations.

I really want to see this show again now. When my family had cable I used to get up at 6 in the morning before school to watch the episodes. When it got halfway through the Millennium Eye duel, we lost cable and I never found out what happened ;-;

And just now I remembered that there is a character named T├®a in the (english) anime! I'm wondering if that's where T├®a got her name |Yep! thats actually it! I didn't remember who it was but I liked the name!|

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Yami is like a tulpa to Yugi. Yami will take over for Yugi during duels and other situations.

I really want to see this show again now. When my family had cable I used to get up at 6 in the morning before school to watch the episodes. When it got halfway through the Millennium Eye duel, we lost cable and I never found out what happened ;-;

And just now I remembered that there is a character named T├®a in the (english) anime! I'm wondering if that's where T├®a got her name |Yep! thats actually it! I didn't remember who it was but I liked the name!|

I use to love watching that show everyday after school. The whole Yami/Yugi thing actually helped me explain how tulpae work to my brother. 1161148123.png

Yu-Gi-Oh!

I can add spoilers if you like.

1179911372.png

Or you can just watch it on YTube.

I watched the newer one quite a bit too, involving "CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES" for some reason.

Just found this page. Going to add my own bit to it

UNITED STATES OF TARA

American (?) TV Show about woman with a mental disorder which causes her to switch personalities. That is normal, but later in the series, she starts seeing her other personalities while being herself, and even later, negotiating with them about the ownership of her body, giving it pretty real tulpa look.

Wouldn't the game Deadly Premonition count? The main character York, has his other personality Zach, whom he speaks to throughout the whole game.

I was rewatching some episodes of Sherlock, and I think Sherlock's Mind Palace might count as a Wonderland. Similarly, in S3E1 (The Empty Hearse), during the scene with a skeleton, it seems like Sherlock may have something similar to a Watson Tulpa, considering the way he reacts to it.