• Announcements

• Frinkeldoodle

Notice for Anyone Using Dolphin Browser   12/13/2016

I've discovered there's a particular bug that occurs when using Dolphin Browser here that autofills your username and password... into a thread's title and tag fields when you create or edit one. I advise anyone using Dolphin Browser at the moment to discontinue using it here until either Dolphin fixes their autofill so it doesn't do that, or until IP.Board releases an update that reverses what causes that to happen.
    • Vairaki

Discord Account Verifications   06/27/2017

A reminder for those who use the discord channels that have not yet verified their member status, You have until Saturday the 1st of July to do so to avoid any interrupted service. 
Bright Star

Keyboard Tapper Thread (Ponies that program)

17 posts in this topic

Hello ponies~

I've been noticing that there's a bunch of ponies here that seem to do a bit of programming, so I though I would go ahead and start a thread about us. I'm not thinking about anything too specific, just maybe we can share some things that we've made (as long as it doesn't quite crash our computers :P). 

As for myself, I self taught myself C++ a bit way back since Jr. High School. Once I got into using a progarm known as Scrolling Game Development Kit, I thought myself a bit of Visual Basic Script. Then I started college and from there learned C#, ActionScript, and Javascript and then also used a few game engines like Unreal, Flash and Unity.

Right now I'm trying to teach myself a bit of DirectX programming. It's been going slowly for now, but I hope it does take me one step closer into becoming a video game designer.

-Bright Star

Well, I never had any real education in programming and such.

But I do have some skills in coding games for the Eduke engine.

You're thinking of becoming a video game designer? That sounds awesome. I'm in a programming class myself... learning visual basic... I'll get to other languages eventually.

I know CBasic from a class, and I wanna learn Ruby script since the RPG Maker engines run on em. Speaking of which I have, or rather had, a large project I was working had and had quite a bit done, then poof gone, was a shame but I have another idea in the works.

I know C. And basics of Python and a bunch of different languages.

The truth I learned is that C is the real tool. I can write code for 3D graphics and microcontrollers. But I'm not very skilled because I only write code from time to time when I need it.

I am a beginner. I know Lua, C#, Java, HTML, Javascript and CSS. But I only know very little about them all. Like, I can make small and simple programs with what I know, but nothing too complicated or too pretty. But I aim to learn programming when I enter college. 

Also, has anyone fallen in love with Google's Material Design? I have, and I think all my programs will have Material Design in them. IT'S PRETTY! :v

I'm just a student who like to code. I know Java, Javascript, PHP and Actionscript 3. My favorite languages are Java and Javascript. I'm not very good at programming, but I still like programming. I'm trying to learn C++ and OpenGL recently, but they're quite hard.

I know a bit of assembly and some HTML and that's about it. And yes, I love Material Design.

Just curious, but something that I kind of like seeing in games is content that didn't make it into the game but is still hidden inside the game. In one of my favorite games, The New Tetris for the N64, there are several hidden rants inside the game's code that weren't supposed to be discovered for months when the game released but it only took hackers a few days to find it. One of my favorite ones was made by David Pridie http://www.bretz.ca/dave/tetrisrant.htm (More rants can be found here http://tcrf.net/The_New_Tetris ). I've always like neat little things like this, especially the backstory behind then as well.

I've studied computer science, computer systems, and programming. I've worked on projects in C/C++ (Windows, GNU Linux, Android), Java (Oracle and Android), Python, Ruby, SCAR/Simba (some Delphi offshoot), assembly (x86, ARM, dex if we're counting VM bytecode), Javascript (web browsers, not node.js), PHP, and R.

Has anypony tried to program for Android?

I've very familiar with Android. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

As a college studen in computer engineering, I've had some experience in C, Java, HTML, Bash shell, and I'm starting to learn Cisco IOS, javascript, and SQL database stuff.

I've very familiar with Android. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I've taken a look into coding for Android... So I came across with that I am too sane to programm for Android.

Also, I hate Android. It is the Monster, which you better to fear and avoid.

I'm not very good at programming/coding but I find it very interesting, I'm currently learning HTML but I do know a bit of Java and Python ^_^

You're thinking of becoming a video game designer? That sounds awesome. I'm in a programming class myself... learning visual basic... I'll get to other languages eventually.

I think your referring to developer, a designer is someone who makes the graphics for a game.

Anyways, I know my way around Visual Basic, some C++, and I know a LOT of C#. I'm trying to get into Unity development, however it doesn't look very easy. If Anypony wanted to help me get into Unity, that'd be much appreciated. :)

I also bought an Oculus rift sdk 2 recently, I hope I can learn its sdk and make some stuff out of it. So if Anypony wanted to give me pointers on that it also would be much appreciated as well. :)

I'm hoping to eventually be able to make Welcome To Equestria mobile on the android, but I don't know very good android app development programs for that at the moment.

HTML, CSS,  bits of Javascript here & there.... I' mostly knowing of the working backbone of the web because I am learning my way around ethical hacking. All of that I really picked up & learned on my own. I learned basic HTML and then upgraded to HTML5 soon thereafter along with learning CSS for building a small website spin-off based on SCP called the "Equestrian Secure Contain Protect Program". I was working out the login system in PHP, but my Raspberry Pi (of which the website was being temporarily hosted on) aaaannd the Pi irrecoverably just self destructed. Raspian wouldn't boot :( but I thankfully had a copy of the files on my PC and miraculously had ONE backup of the user SQL database! So its all good now. I'm Currently learning more of Java, then I am gonna move to C & C++ for more advanced things to do when I am bored, lol.

(Now that I think about it, I am gonna start getting around to Python very soon, I do have a week off after all......)

eqscp.png

Edited by DJ - TrainR3k

I'm a java junky (two College classes under my belt), but I'm planning on learning C++ soon...Hopefully I'll be able to code for a software company later on in life.