• Announcements

• Frinkeldoodle

Notice for Anyone Using Dolphin Browser   12/13/2016

I've discovered there's a particular bug that occurs when using Dolphin Browser here that autofills your username and password... into a thread's title and tag fields when you create or edit one. I advise anyone using Dolphin Browser at the moment to discontinue using it here until either Dolphin fixes their autofill so it doesn't do that, or until IP.Board releases an update that reverses what causes that to happen.
    • Vairaki

Discord Account Verifications   06/27/2017

A reminder for those who use the discord channels that have not yet verified their member status, You have until Saturday the 1st of July to do so to avoid any interrupted service. 
Frinkeldoodle

Which Chat is Best Chat?

Which Chat is Best Chat? (READ POST FIRST)   64 members have voted

1. 1. IRC or IP.Chat?

• IRC
    • IP.Chat
    • Something else? (Leave a post!)
    • I don't care
  2. 2. If the forums stick with IRC, which web client should be used?

• Kiwi (current)
    • Mibbit
    • qwebirc ( http://ircstats.hypnoponies.net:9090/ )
    • Something else? (Leave a post!)
    • I don't care

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 posts in this topic

It occurred to me with the last status update I made that there seems to be a bit of a split in terms of which chat should be used for the forums. Some people like IP.Boards the best, others like IRC the best. From there, some seem to like Kiwi, others hate it, and many just use desktop clients (which is pretty much the best choice with IRC). The issue is, however, that only one chat should exist, and only one web client should be used to avoid clutter and confusion. So, it's been decided that a poll will be run to decide which chat server can be used. I will list everything I know good and bad about each. Feel free to add to these lists.

IP.Chat

The Good:

• Cheaper to run ($20/year vs ~$18/month). This is only a benefit for me though, as pretty much 90% of the cost comes out of my own pocket (although I do receive donations once in a blue moon.)

• More deeply integrated with the forums. It's literally right on the board.

• Simpler to use. No additional registration is required beyond signing up for the forums.

Neutral/Controversial:

• Logs everything, INCLUDING private messages. This can be considered an infringement of privacy, but it also helps prevents people from attacking others in private messages a bit more easily.

• No support for bots (as far as I know). This does away with potential bot spam, but it also means no statistics pages, no neat in-chat plugins, no link analysis...

The Bad:

• Randomly kicks people on occasion. This is unavoidable and embarrassing.

• Server isn't exactly reliable all of the time, resulting in random, un-explainable downtime.

• I (as well as everyone else on the staff) do not have direct control of the chat server, so any technical issues in-chat beyond moderation would have to be solved by Invision Power.

• Has issues on mobile (i.e. must remain on page at all times or will disconnect) and no alternate apps to use IP.Chat on (at least, not that I know of.)

• Hard 50-user limit. I could increase this to 250 if I paid $80/year instead, but if we ever hit 250 users in-chat, that's it.

• No separate rooms. Anything "separate" (such as Truth or Dare) would have to be done elsewhere, which can be a bit of a hassle. Also makes things tougher when a line of conversation is upsetting/frustrating people (as you wouldn't be able to just have them talk about it in a separate room)

IRC

The Good

• Very stable server. I haven't seen the actual IRC server have any downtime yet, except for when I restart it manually (and I will be doing away with that, as I realized I can just reload the config file without a restart.)

• When people disconnect, the server says they disconnected (not kicked) and elaborates further on such.

• I have shell access to the server (aka practically complete and total access). If any maintenance needs to be done, I, a staff member, or someone I trust can do it.

• Soft user limit, can be easily increased without too much of a price jump (and potentially infinitely increased)

• Virtually infinite rooms. Whether your needs are, you can make a separate room and talk about whatever you want in that separate room, whether it be Truth or Dare, the latest episode before spoilers are permitted on #main, or even something a bit more private.

• Mobile-friendly. There are even Windows Phone apps for IRC. I use AndroIRC myself for Android, and it works wonders for me.

• Quite a bit more powerful.

Neutral/Controversial

• All sorts of chat bots support IRC. This adds a lot of very convenient stuff, but can also be abused and become spam. A staff member can ban bots, though.

• Doesn't log much on its own except connects and disconnects. This can be worked around by having a bot log the chat, though (which I already have set up). This means chats can potentially be "off-the-record" and private conversations can't be read unless if a log is sent to a staff member. This means more privacy, though.

The Bad

• More expensive. I can deal with it, though (I find it's worth the cost).

• Not as integrated with the forums. I added integration with the stats page, and there's a client in the site, but other than that, it's practically it's own thing. It's not even running on the same server.

• Not as simple to use as IP.Board.

• Web clients seem to have had some disconnection issues. This is not a problem on desktop clients, though.

I don't know much about the different IRC web clients. Those who have used them will know what they prefer. Feel free to create a list of the pros and cons about them.

I think I (and the rest of the staff) will look over the votes in two weeks and decide if we should wait further, or if we should make a decision on what the site chat will run on.

Baltoist and . like this

If HexChat has a webclient, that'd be nice. The desktop client itself is actually really good, but I don't know if it has a web-embedded client.

Huh.. I liked the ip.chat becase of the mobile version..

I've heard complaints about the mobile version, so I dunno.

Baltoist likes this

I liked the old IP chat we had but I never really needed much from a chat and it supplied all I did need. To do with the privacy infringment I personally don't really care because as I see it , I ain't usin' something of my own so whatever has it has the rights. 

Not a fan of the current KiwiIRC thing, I ain't no smarty-intelligence pone, who downloads their own IRC client and just want a nice , simple chat without all this registering with a nickserv thing. 

IRC, definitely. I find the privacy infringement on the IP one to be.. unsettling, to say the least. IRC is much more functional in my opinion.

I prefer IRC for the same reasons as Eris, the idea of PM's is to be private, if the admins log them it almost defeats the purpose.

From at least a moderating perspective, IP.chat is far superior to our chat's current IRC incarnation. That being said, I'll still be voting IRC for the extra tools and functionality that can be added if you have the right bots, and the ability to make rooms on the fly is quite handy. As for the client used, either Mibbit or Kiwi is a decent choice (kiwi just feels like a watered-down Mibbit to me). The client doesn't matter too much though, since anyone can choose their own and connect manually.

IRC all the way. Far more functional. Far more stable (especially with a desktop app). And mobile friendly.

We do have quite a few users who almost totally use mobile to chat, so going to a mobile un-friendly chat would lock them out.

Also, as per the nickserv thing, if you use a simple desktop app, it can be easily set up to do that for you. Also, doesn't seem to be needed anyways with the way IRC is set up here. Also, dedicated apps are far superior to any web based client for any chat system I have seen, IRC or otherwise.

IRC may have a few issues, but it is by and large the most stable, powerful and extensible of the options out there. So if Frinkel doesn't mind the 18 a month expense, then I say we should stick with IRC.

One suggestion, could you have multiple options for which web based IRC client one could use if they go that route? And if there already are links, maybe make them look like buttons for easier access? That might alleviate some pony's problems, although I wouldn't know, I now use hexchat.

I personally still like the IP.chat more. It felt more related to the forum, and built a better sense of community. Such was my impression, anyway. It's rather clear that Frinkel prefers IRC in all areas, and IRC is the more standardly used system. Perhaps I would like it more if this functionality that Spitfire implies is not added yet were to be added, but for all the little dew-dads that IRC has, it's always seemed a bit flat to me. Or, at least when it is for one tight community that would rarely ever exceed 50 online simultaneously. I love the idea of IRC as a utility that allows people from all over the place who share one general interest to get into a very simple, low-requirement instant message conversation. But, that's not quite what our community is. We are pretty dang niche, and I've always thought that a correspondingly cozy chat would be more appropriate.

Wait, IRC has WINDOWS PHONE APPS?! FINALLY, SOMETHING THAT SUPPORTS WINDOWS PHONE! IRC ALL THE WAY!

IRC is available to more and does not negate the very purpose of pms whic in my personal opinion is the main thing since you said you can handle the cost. In a moderating perspective IP would be better. But we want something that connects to almost everypony and as people have said a large portion of people use primarily mobile.(Including me)

To clarify, the IP.chat was not particularly mobile unfriendly. It worked fine, and I used it on my poor old iPod all the time. The only real fault it had in comparison to a mobile IRC client was that as it was in a browser app, it would often disconnect if you switched to doing something else on the device. Though, that is just the way that I know iOS Safari works, disconnecting from webpages if you weren't viewing them. Perhaps on Android or different iOS browser apps, it would not even do that.

Edited by Vivian

To clarify, the IP.chat was not particularly mobile unfriendly. It worked fine, and I used it on my poor old iPod all the time. The only real fault it had in comparison to a mobile IRC client was that as it was in a browser app, it would often disconnect if you switched to doing something else on the device. Though, that is just the way that I know iOS Safari works, disconnecting from webpages if you weren't viewing them. Perhaps on Android or different iOS browser apps, it would not even do that.

Fixed, thanks!

I just can't connect at all... :(

Seriously. I tried the app, won't work. In browser, won't work. Why?!

I just can't connect at all... :(

Seriously. I tried the app, won't work. In browser, won't work. Why?!

Are you connecting to the right place and the right port?

Server: irc.hypnoponies.net

Port: 6667

No SSL or password.

If irc.hypnoponies.net doesn't work, try 69.197.17.73.

It's also possible you're on a network that blocks IRC. That's a bit harder to resolve.

I absolutely love the new IRC. At first I was "eh" about it but I have really been able to put new rooms to use. I have rooms for Tardis Roleplay, other roleplay, people who want to talk to me, some on just specific subjects I or other pones want to talk about. I would not like to return to the old IP board as then I would not be able to continue on RPing as I like, as I enjoying having more then 2 people in on it. Chatzy isn't always an option for me.

I personally don't get all the nonsense with the IP chat not being private. If you want to have a private talk, you probably shouldn't be doing it on that chat anyway. There's Skype and a dozen other things. the IP chat was a place where all of us could just talk, but it's just so empty nowadays. I liked it when we had discussions in the IP chat. The dilutedness of the IRC is just killing me. I think we should just kill a few of the channels. There's too many. 

I think that even after giving everyone a month the time to post. Its fairly obvious where everyone's preference lies.

While we too miss the little avatars and the forum integration. The many options IRC offers and its stability make it the clear winner. So for now we stick with that one until we find a better option. Offcource suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks everyone for the input. And I wish you all a good time chatting.