• Announcements

• Frinkeldoodle

Notice for Anyone Using Dolphin Browser   12/13/2016

I've discovered there's a particular bug that occurs when using Dolphin Browser here that autofills your username and password... into a thread's title and tag fields when you create or edit one. I advise anyone using Dolphin Browser at the moment to discontinue using it here until either Dolphin fixes their autofill so it doesn't do that, or until IP.Board releases an update that reverses what causes that to happen.
Waffles

Windows 10 Discussion!

16 posts in this topic

Welp. I thought someone would make this sooner or later.. so I did it!  :derp:

By the way, if you guys haven't gotten a notification saying Windows 10 is ready to install, do it manually by clicking here.

I was thinking this could just a place for all teh Windows fans to geek out!

I'll first show you guys my start menu layout, then my pros and cons. Feel free to do the same if you want.

oZcT8VE.png

Pros:

• The Game Bar: This by far is one of the best features for gamers. The Game Bar is basically Microsoft's way of letting you record all your gameplay. And if the game bar doesn't automatically come up, you can open it up by pressing Win Key + Alt + G. I won't get too into detail though, look it up.  :P 
  • The Start Menu in General: Well, duh.
  • Previous Versions Return: Lets face it, we all make mistakes. The Previous Version tab in Properties helps fix that.
  • Action Center: The Action Center is a very organized and better way to keep track of your notifications than Windows 7 or 8. I literally have no complaints about it.
  • Microsoft Edge: This web browser is not perfect. But it is a step up. I'll switch to it once it has plugin support.
  • 3D Builder: I don't know much about it.. But it seems super cool.

Cons:

• Lack of Customization Options for the Left Side of the Start Menu: This is extremely frustrating to me.. Why can't I just pin things to the left side instead of having a tile? >~<
  • Cortana: Oooh, a lot of people will disagree with me.. but I must say it. I hate Cortana because it wants to take so much information from me.. I won't even let me have a local password if you have Cortana later. If they didn't rely so much on Microsoft account integration, then I'd like it a bit more.
  • Other really small things I didn't bother to put on.

Con that really isn't on Windows 10:

• Minecraft Windows 10 Edition seems like it's just a Pocket Edition port >~<

I'm staying with Windows 7 myself. All of what I feared about 10 is still there. I'm more excited about ReactOS (Open Source NT recreation) and Linux as replacements later on.

The only useful feature for me on Windows 10 would be the Virtual desktops, but I can live without them.

D3D12 isn't necessary since Vulkan will do all the same things.

I'd rather have full control over my computer than let MS decide for me what I can and can't do on my own machine.

Lack of Customization Options for the Left Side of the Start Menu: This is extremely frustrating to me.. Why can't I just pin things to the left side instead of having a tile?

Depending on what you want, you may be able to find a third party workaround. For example, those that like the Start Menu of XP and 7 might find Classic Shell to be of some use.

Cortana: Oooh, a lot of people will disagree with me.. but I must say it. I hate Cortana because it wants to take so much information from me.. I won't even let me have a local password if you have Cortana later. If they didn't rely so much on Microsoft account integration, then I'd like it a bit more.

I don't like Cortana either and as such, I disable it. It's annoying having to go into and disable so many things that are integrated to the Microsoft account that in my opinion don't really need to be. It's nice being able to configure the operating system, but this is not something Windows 10 allows for much in my opinion. There is even a bug/limitation with the Intel HD Graphics drivers that prevents stretched full screen on older programs that run fullscreen it seems. This is why I only use Linux now except for when I have to use Microsoft such as for post-secondary and at work. Windows is and always has been great for those that don't want to take the time to learn a new operating system and want things to just work out of the box, but that's about it. It lacks the reliability of a Mac, and the raw power and configuration of other operating systems such as Linux and BSD.

Edited by Princess Twilight Sparkle✨

I would have Windows 10...if the installer hadn't quit out on me. Twice. I know this isn't the place to ask for tech support, but...

the installer failed in the SAFE_OS phase, during the APPLY_IMAGE operation. Am I alone with this problem?

I'm planning on updating after watching a couple of my friends mess with it for a while, Call me a wuss but i'd rather them run into the minefield first! : P

platinumcolt likes this

I'm currently on my second attempt downloading it. The first one got to 90 something percent before it failed! It should be good though. Also, would you say the Start Menu is better or worse than in Windows 7?

Also, would you say the Start Menu is better or worse than in Windows 7?

Well, it depends on how you look at it. If you were just using the Windows 7 Start Menu to browse through all your apps and search, then it may be better. But if you are one who wants more customization, you may find that it's worse.

That's my opinion at least..

Well, it depends on how you look at it. If you were just using the Windows 7 Start Menu to browse through all your apps and search, then it may be better. But if you are one who wants more customization, you may find that it's worse.

That's my opinion at least..

Thanks. I only really used it to launch programs and whatnot so I should like it. I do think it is more aesthetically pleasing than the Windows 7 one as well.

There are lots of interesting features in win10 that are missing in win7. So I will soon make the upgrade.
On the other hoof, I have always had those features in Linux, which will remain my primary os.

It's kinda weird.

My laptop worked fine with Windows 10 insider preview.

The release however did not have a single driver for my laptop ready,it was incredibly slow,and it overheated my laptop.

10/10 The upgrade didn't delete Linux (Like windows likes to do on many occasions).

First impression:
The new design is pretty and there are some usability upgrades (Finally window snapping). 
There is a whole lot of make up to make old things look new without adding any new core functionality,
which leaves tools like the "Explorer"  fancy, but lacking any kind of customization and therefor usability.

All in all a decent upgrade for people who enjoyed win7/xp 
People that expect decent customization will find it to be no better or worse than windows7 in that regard.

Edited by Create{Dashie}<Twi>

Currently installing.

.....and that was the last anypony heard from Spyder.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I have Windows 7 on the family computer, but my old workhorse that I use more often has Windows XP.

Mostly for driver support of older hardware and other niceties such as ALT + ENTER to properly fullscreen command prompt windows.

I also like the way it rattles when starting cold.

Then picks up speed as the bearings in the fan warm up, and disappears after 90 seconds or so.

Not quite there for Windows 10 yet! :-)

I've had to roll back to my Windows 7 partition. The drivers have a crashfest on Windows 10. Copypasta from my bug report:

"I've been having a serious problem regarding the graphics driver on Windows 10. At first, it worked just fine, but then I found that, after a while, the driver would crash and would not recover, no matter how long I let it settle. When I restarted the computer and (quickly) looked at the system events, there would be a long list of warnings stating "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." in quick succession, up until the time I hard reset the computer. Soon, I found that this occurs just minutes after I've booted up the OS. If I'm listening to music when the display driver crashes, the music skips, frozen in time. My keyboard does not react to any button pushes while this is occurring. I've tried everything from only installing the core components of the driver (plus the physics addon) to completely reinstalling Windows 10 and putting a fresh copy of the driver on with no success."

I installed win 10 on my. Laprop becasue i hate windows 8 alot.

But on my Desktop im stickig to win 7.

Read up on all the security and privacy isues. Welcome to the bot net ~

Edited by llol