Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Star Shard

spoiler
Season 5 - Episode 25 & 26 - The Cutie map

22 posts in this topic

Episode 25: The Cutie Map: Part 1:

Starlight Glimmer, hoping to obtain revenge against the Mane 6, acquires a spell that could change the past, present and future of Equestria forever.

Episode 26: The Cutie Map: Part 2: 

Princess Twilight and her friends continue to fight against Starlight's attempts to alter the past, but they fear that their efforts may be in vain.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-5ItvuZe_k

The return of Starlight Glimmer! I am really curious about those alternate time lines.

Baltoist likes this

For the first time in my life, I can legitimately use the phrases "My Little Pony," "Alternate Timeline," and "Predestination Paradox" in the same sentence.

Life is good. :muffins:

So... this is the Cutie Map pt 2 Pt 1&2? I liked it better when it was Cutiemarkless and the Cuite Remark.

I dont know what happened to the title. Might be a mistake on their end.

Anyhoof.  A vague spoiler.

My Little Pony: Untitled Starlight Glimmer
G.M. Berrow On Sale Date: 08/02/16

A original My Little Pony chapter book featuring one of Twilight Sparkle's most notorious pupils!

And Trixie and Sunset fans are devastated as Starlight Glimmer takes the reigns as the seventh ranger and new student of friendship.

New spoilers released during the episode. 

It seems Twilight is sucked into somekind of vortex by Starlights design andNightmare moon returns.

I hope somepony recorded it.

Ok, so we have an industrial corn producing sweet apple acres.

Spells have symbols on them now.

There are now roads in pegasi territory.

Nightmare moon now rules equestria.

The cutie map now shows a desolate green wasteland.

There is a resistance movement with Berry punch, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy.

Celestia is leading an army, suggesting civil war.

This sounds pretty epic.

Alternate timelines tend to be pretty awesome, and this looks to be no exception. My biggest worry, however, is how Twilight will manage to beat Starlight. Hopefully, it will be something with actually meaning and not another rainbow-colored maguffin like the box or even the Elements. Fingers crossed!

So, from that I gather that Starlight removed her from the timeline. that is a step-up from what I thought but since it allows her to remain an Alicorn I can see why they took it. However, no matter what the outcome is, the fact that Twilight will have a reason invented just so she can't go to back to her timeline until she solves this ones problems seems likely. OR since the preview is almost all from pt2  she just infiltrates the castle goes home and bops Starlight in the muzzle in the 8 mins left after what was shown.

12208519_1207396005944501_35735919396220

Another day in Ponyville, exactly as nice as every other day. Everything is equal in Ponyville. There’s absolutely nothing wrong here. So if anypony asks, say that everything is all right…and it just might be.

Watch the two-part season finale of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic this Saturday on Discovery Family Channel at 11:30 AM EST!

Looks just grey to me.

Really? She steals the colour? I could understand if they painted everything they built differently, but they can't grey out nature. I hope this is explained beyond Starlight controls ponyville therefore it is grey because of equality is bad and this is the visual cue.

Concidering its just one out of many spoilers showing the greyish hue. I think its just fog.

12295370_1217172951633473_17286246175289

Oh no!! Do you think Twilight Sparkle and Spike will be able to get out unscathed and save their friends? Find out this Saturday on Discovery Family Channel at 11:30 AM EST!

First off, that's amazing! Congrats Bright! 

From an objective standpoint, this episode was pretty weak for a finale. However, the various worlds displayed (especially the matrix-esque changeling invasion world) were each especially interesting. The time travel mechanic was also fun to watch, as well as providing a reason as to why Twilight didn't just zap Starlight dead (my favorite of her failures). I didn't like the redemption, however, and the ending song felt slightly forced. 

I enjoyed the episode to no end, but it's not necessarily a great finale. Still a good way to finish the season.

See you in 6 months!

This was a pretty epic season ending again.

I liked that the story revolved around rainbows race for Fluttershys honour and that they found all sorts of ways to mess with the race. Which suggests that there is a bigger more complex role for those two aside from the sonic rainboom and their role as an element bearer.Though most of the episode was a repeat of the same story. Twilight and Starlight return in time. Ruin the race and then Twilight is send back to the changed present. Story wise they could have done this with one alternative present. But luckily this part of the episode wasn't about developing the story. But just showing off the different realities. . 

Luckily the alternative realities were easily the highlight of the episode. And its fun puzzling together how they may have formed.

The World War Equestria reality was one of the most detailed one and for that one of my favourites. War has spread its tentacles thoroughly in every level of the community and nopony, from foals to the princesses is spared. Ponies are fighting ponies in a war they seem to be losing or stuck in a stalemate judging on the map and mega spells cannot be that far away.

This whole mess is probably the result of the absence of Shining Armor. A new group of element bearers would have no problem defeating Nightmare Moon or Discord. But since Twilight is not involved Cadence would have never hooked up with Shining Armor. Which means there never was a royal wedding for Chrysalis to exploit. Nor would Shining Armor ever be send to the crystal empire so Cadence would have been alone to keep up the shield spell even before the Element bearers arrived. Neither would he be around to protect the bearers during the Sombras initial attack after arriving.

After the war became a fact, the war atmosphere would have likely prevented the weakened Tirek from gaining power before being eliminated by one of the sides. And Discord after being set free again by the plunderseeds, would likely be content in watching the chaos of war for the time being.

The Changeling time-line is a simple variation on this. However this time Chrysalis attacked regardless. Without Shining Armor hooking up with Cadance, there would have been no wall of pure love blasting the invading changeling's away. With their victory in Canterlot ensured it would have been easy for Chrysalis to just invade the crystal empire before Sombra got the chance to build his army. While with ponies on the brink of extinction, Tirek wouldn't be able to gain much energy. Discord after his second return would again just be content in watching the chaos unfold. Its interesting that the mane5 still manage to regain their old cutie marks in life and some importance in this version. Still, they never become anything more than cannon fodder. Its rather disturbing to see Fluttershy so keen on wiping out the changeling's. It makes you wonder what happened between her and them to make her this way. In any case, this one is easily to most dire one of the futures that still show ponies.

The Nightmare moon time-line is a that more complex. But still possible.
After her return, this time there were no element bearers. So Celestia returned the elements to the harmony tree. Knowing that Nightmare moon would not likely be able to mess with them in this super harmony state, while hoping that a new group of bearers would come along later to use them. Nightmare moon, knowing this moved back to the castle in the everfree forest to protect the location from any group of ponies hoping to be the new saviours of Equestria. While knowing the elements are lost to her unless she finds a way to retrieve them.

Celestia, unknowingly by doing this, also prevented Discords return and the plunderweeds from succeeding.
With Nightmare Moons power secure and leading a powerful bat-pony army, its doubtful that the Changeling's would have attacked. Sombra would not stand a chance against an already militarized Equestria. Nor would Tirek be let free to roam very long. 

Despite this all. There are no indications that this is a bad time-line per se. The ponies aren't apparently afraid considering tourism is a concern.

Rarity still seems to be herself though colder and Rainbow Dash is shown as someone that loves a fight. I wonder if this was inspired by seeing two ponies fighting to the death in her youth. 

Tirek is the last of the villains to show up historically. So technically everything could have happened as it did before. Except this time the new bearers never managed to retrieve the keys. Or he simply killed them before they get the chance. Still, apparently it wasn't as easy as before as he is still shown fighting or blasting a still largely intact landscape when Twilight returns. So his plans were at least delayed for the duration of season 5.

Discords victory is rather simple. He is basically a mad god and nearly unstoppable outside of the elements of harmony or the harmony tree. Its very easily thinkable that he manages to defeat the new element bearers this time or during his second return thanks to the plunderseeds.
Its notable that in this time line, Luna is shown as reformed, indicating that a new set of harmony bearers are more than mere speculation on my end.

The Flim and Flam ending is rather puzzling. It just shows them levelling a forest. Since they are doing the bulldozing themselves its unlikely they are the current rulers. It could be that the princesses got killed earlier leading the ponies to govern themselves and making the same decisions that doomed the many forests here. Then again, if the forest was infected with plunderseeds. I cant blame them.

The next future shown into great detail is the Ash world future. A world where everything burned yet the north is still frozen. The sky is filled with smoke lighted by distant fires and a fierce wind is blowing though the lands. There is no explanation given for this. Nor does there seem to be a reasoning behind this. Its just there. Is this something that may yet to come? An unintended effect everyone missed? Some kind of natural calamity? There are few events that could have lead to devastation on this level while leaving the landscape more or less intact. Even fewer characters, good or bad, are capable of doing this.

Starlight's redemption was rather rushed. Though believable. We humans have done much worse to eachother over much less afteral. It again shows that this season is a mayor turning point for the series and I am curious to how it all unfolds in season 6 when it starts in couple of months.
In the mean time. We still have the comics luckily.

Greta[DawnStar] likes this

Four things.

One, Tirek was content to hangout once he gained power. He only started smashing because Twilight had the last of the power he was after. Therefore his destroying of the land (while mainly for effect) was likely him fighting a resistance movement.

Two, the theories on the wasteland are either bad end because all the villains nuked each other, Amulet-Trixie did it because she was the last pony villain not shown (i'm serious even though she had no reason to get it without Twilight), Sunset somehow got the EoFM and razed the place with her small teenage army, or Fallout Equestria is canon.

Three, Flim and Flam ending is simply all the villains were stopped by new champions and without the mane 6 (AJ included since she stayed in Manehatten) Granny Smith loses the farm when she accepts the bet and she, Big Mac, and AB lose to the well built and not overworked autonomous cider maker/car. Now how e get to this point. While They became con artists selling snake oil after being shutdown in the main timeline, they were still smart business stallions. So they were able to exploit the inherit monopoly the Apples had and turned a somehow fledgling farm into a thriving industrial plant (circa 1880).

four. The map never took them back to the spot where the castle stood so Twilight couldn't really be sure they didn't just get teleported to the badlands. Twice they ended up in the everfree, twice they ended up in a random wooded area, once they ended up at SAA, and once they wound up in a windy wasteland. Not once did they wind up back in Ponyville, so Starlight kinda had a point at the end there.

Greta[DawnStar] likes this

I enjoyed the finale, but I had a few questions about it that I'm trying to figure out

1) how did starlight suddenly go from taking years to master one spell to suddenly being on par with child prodigy, had-the-best-resources-in-Equestria, alicorn Twilight?

Theory: Starlight Glimmer used time travel to give herself as much time as she needed to teach herself. It would explain how rehearsed her bit with the scroll was, how comfortable she was with breaking and entering Twilight's castle, and her hitherto-unseen magical prowess.

Flaws with theory: literally nothing of this was mentioned in the show, which would have been easy enough to do, and how how does tabletop map+ancient scroll= advanced time travel? It feels as rushed as her excuse for disliking cutie marks.

2) how did Starlight Glimmer preventing the rainboom not retroactively prevent Starlight Glimmer from preventing the Rainboom?

Assuming that time travel in Equestria operates on cause and effect, as demonstrated in the last episode involving time travel, and not parallel timelines, what would continuously allow her to go back in time to mess with the past of ponies she never knew in this alternate timeline, who never had any cause to go to SG's out of the way town other than because glowing cutie marks (frankly, I have trouble believing that the map should even have existed either, in those potential timelines.)

That's the problem with time travel as the plot: you have to be really, really careful writing the way things fall into place, and how they relate to one another. Otherwise you have to handwave paradoxes in a fashion that makes even whovians cringe.

I mean, I realize this is a show where magic is real, horses come in all colors in the visible light spectrum, and control their environment to a precise degree, but this seems a bit harder to accept.

Regardless, though, this is the way things ended up.

I feel that her redemption was accepted pretty hastily, particularly by the ponies she brainwashed, but I suppose I can understand; in the world of ponies, understanding and forgiveness tend to supercede other emotions, so far as I've seen.

Am I just under-thinking it?

Other than that, it was very likeable and sweet, and the ending was pleasant enough that, despite my qualms, I got all the warm feels by the end that I'm used to getting at an mlp season finale.

3 hours ago, ApeacefulAnon said:

I enjoyed the finale, but I had a few questions about it that I'm trying to figure out

1) how did starlight suddenly go from taking years to master one spell to suddenly being on par with child prodigy, had-the-best-resources-in-Equestria, alicorn Twilight?

Theory: Starlight Glimmer used time travel to give herself as much time as she needed to teach herself. It would explain how rehearsed her bit with the scroll was, how comfortable she was with breaking and entering Twilight's castle, and her hitherto-unseen magical prowess.

Flaws with theory: literally nothing of this was mentioned in the show, which would have been easy enough to do, and how how does tabletop map+ancient scroll= advanced time travel? It feels as rushed as her excuse for disliking cutie marks.

2) how did Starlight Glimmer preventing the rainboom not retroactively prevent Starlight Glimmer from preventing the Rainboom?

Assuming that time travel in Equestria operates on cause and effect, as demonstrated in the last episode involving time travel, and not parallel timelines, what would continuously allow her to go back in time to mess with the past of ponies she never knew in this alternate timeline, who never had any cause to go to SG's out of the way town other than because glowing cutie marks (frankly, I have trouble believing that the map should even have existed either, in those potential timelines.)

That's the problem with time travel as the plot: you have to be really, really careful writing the way things fall into place, and how they relate to one another. Otherwise you have to handwave paradoxes in a fashion that makes even whovians cringe.

I mean, I realize this is a show where magic is real, horses come in all colors in the visible light spectrum, and control their environment to a precise degree, but this seems a bit harder to accept.

Regardless, though, this is the way things ended up.

I feel that her redemption was accepted pretty hastily, particularly by the ponies she brainwashed, but I suppose I can understand; in the world of ponies, understanding and forgiveness tend to supercede other emotions, so far as I've seen.

Am I just under-thinking it?

Other than that, it was very likeable and sweet, and the ending was pleasant enough that, despite my qualms, I got all the warm feels by the end that I'm used to getting at an mlp season finale.

I think the difference lies in that Starlight tried to master two very high end spells. While Twilight's skills are to much spread out to really excel at anything and tends to get wasted at growing moustache spells and the like. Its also possible that Starlight simply has more raw energy to work with than twilight. 

Twilight also never really was a child prodigy. She was close to failing the entrance test due to a lack of magical energy and is shown struggling with even the most basic spells at first. She just had a good mentor and luck with her cutiemark.

Time travelling is by default something that has to be explained away as "magic" as presently there are too many natural laws or problems with the concept to work. And even if it worked, the machine would fail or blow up as it exponentially increases the amount of energy present at the location. So hand waving away some specific issues shouldn't be that much of a problem.

I can believe the redemption. The ponies are shown to have a highly socially developed society. While living in dangerous world.

It is possible that they have evolved a strong preference for forgiveness to stick together during harsh time.

Just like we see in social animals here. Which re allow cast out group members or even rival pack members in their pack if the situation calls for it.

Besides, what's wrong with giving someone a chance once she sees the error of her ways.