• Announcements

• Frinkeldoodle

Notice for Anyone Using Dolphin Browser   12/13/2016

I've discovered there's a particular bug that occurs when using Dolphin Browser here that autofills your username and password... into a thread's title and tag fields when you create or edit one. I advise anyone using Dolphin Browser at the moment to discontinue using it here until either Dolphin fixes their autofill so it doesn't do that, or until IP.Board releases an update that reverses what causes that to happen.
    • Vairaki

Discord Account Verifications   06/27/2017

A reminder for those who use the discord channels that have not yet verified their member status, You have until Saturday the 1st of July to do so to avoid any interrupted service. 
Bright Star

First Computer

12 posts in this topic

Try to think back to the first computer (or earliest) that you've ever used or owned.

My first was a Tandy Multimedia Computer (probably 1994). It included a whole ton of features and applications and I think it also came with games like The Magic School Bus: Explores the Solar System/Human Body.

Specs:

• Intel i386 processor

• 4MB RAM

• 100MB HDD

• 3-1/2 Floppy Disk Drive

• CD-ROM Drive (with a tray you had to open and close manually)

• Sound Blaster Pro 2 Sound Card

• MS-DOS 6.20

• Windows 3.1 (which we upgraded to Windows 95 later on)

I've had many fond memories with this machine and I eventually took it as my own computer around 2003-ish when I started experimenting a lot with computers and hardware. I upgraded it to have an i486 processor, Sound Blaster 16, 16MB RAM, 2x CD-ROM drive, 500MB HDD and probably more than I can remember right now. I fondly remember accidentally corrupting my Windows 95 installation after experimenting with Windows 3.1 dual booting thanks to 8.3 filenames and was stuck there until I finally found the key for the Win95 installation. During that time I also grew a huge fondness of retro games and programs and the like. 

Greta[DawnStar] and Baltoist like this

Thats probably roughly the same as I had. Atleast qua things i recognize. It did take a long while before we got CDROM and Windows 95 though.

And even when we did. I barely used it. As most games were still in Dos at that time.

Baltoist likes this

I crashed our first computer.Physically crashed it by pushing it off when I was like 2 or something.

Circa late 90's

Edited by Greta{DawnStar}

My father owned a Windows 2000 desktop. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember my father had an M:tG game installed on it.

The only things I remember about the first computer I ever used is that it ran either Windows 95, 98, 2000 or ME and that it always froze, no matter what you were doing. I'm thinking that was the computer that my parents had Windows 2000 on but 'upgraded' to ME. They only found out how bad ME was after they installed it so they went back to 2000.

As for the first computer I ever owned (and I still use it all the time), it had an Intel Core i7 2600, a Radeon HD 6570, a Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3, a 2TB Seagate Baracuda and 8GB of the cheapest RAM I could find. I recently bought an R9 270 to replace the HD 6570 and I'm planning to buy an SSD and get another 8GB of RAM.

Alright I think it was a gateway computer in 96-97. I had Windows 95 on it and it was the most durable machine I ever owned, it lasted a good 9 years without updating as I only used it for word after I ran out of trial disks for internet.

All I remember about my first computer is that it was Windows XP and I had internet via USB witch got smashed. 

I had a Packard Bell with the latest and greatest operating system on it... Windows 98! :3 I actually still have the operations manual. It was given to me by a relative because they got an new computer (I still don't get why they gave a computer to a 5 year old o3o). I never had the Internet on it but I sometimes snuck onto my moms computer which had the free Juno Dial-Up Internet! But in the end, the only thing I remember on that computer was Chips Challenge, the best preinstalled game on that thing. XD

Then I got another computer handed down to me because... I dunno, I'm spoiled. o3o That computer also didn't have the Internet but it had pinball! I moved and got a USB wifi thing but I was addicted to my GameCube so I hardly used the thing :P I always liked computers but I wasn't really computer smart until my 4th computer. 100 GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, Intel i3 (not completely sure), a bunch of other stuff I don't remember.

In the end I was a spoiled brat that got everything I wanted... o.o

All I remember was playing a lot of starcraft on it, then leaving a Henry and Mudge magnet on it for an entire summer.

I was eight.

RIP

Edited by ApeacefulAnon

I appreciate the olden days of computing even though I wasn't alive to experience it, but my oldest and first computer I got as a birthday present. I salvaged it for parts, but it was an old Dell tower with a Windows 2000 HDD. Had an old CRT monitor for it too. In fact, I still have it in my basement. The only thing I could do with it was boot into the logon screen and could not figure out the password. (Now that I am older, I hate myself for not going around it the easy way. IE; booting into safe mode, renaming sticky keys to cmd.exe, pressing shift 5 times & deleting the password with cmd prompt) And that's how I learned to navigate the BIOS screen. I also (still have)  an HP Pavillion ze4125 laptop with the crappiest power plug ever that ran XP. L.S.S., I accidentally kinda destroyed windows trying to make my HDD dual bootable with Debian.... RIP

But since I'm a tech nerd, I have VM's of DOS, Win 95/98, W2K, Debian, and...... Windows 1.0. If anyone else does Virtual Machines, go to winworldpc.com, They have all the really old OS's ISO files that you can download for free and make a VM out of. (Not just Windows)